All trademarks and Intellectual Property on this site are owned by Société des Produits Nestlé S.A.,Vevey, Switzerland or used with permission.
Chef Gregg NelsonCEC
Chef Gregg Nelson was a farm-to-table chef before farm-to-table was a thing. To be exact, he was a backyard-to-table chef. An early fascination with Mediterranean flavors inspired him to open Bistro Ambrosia in San Francisco in the late '80s. Realizing the value of fresh, hyper-local produce, he grew the vegetables he served nightly in the back yard of his Marina District home. “No one else was doing it, so we didn't want to tell anyone,” he laughs.
Life took an unexpected turn in 1989, when the earthquake that hit San Francisco destroyed his restaurant. It prompted a pivot, sending Chef Gregg on a career path that-- as luck would have it-- led him to Nestle. His appreciation for the most flavorful, premium ingredients, and finding innovative ways to source the best possible food is what still excites him today: working with clients to find innovative ways to improve their own recipes, and create new, inspired dishes with Minor’s® products.
More About This Chef
Seared foie gras, and NY-style hot links with onions
Favorite Minor’s® Product
There are so many, but Minor’s® Chicken Base. I explain it as being like Mom’s homemade Chicken Noodle soup broth. Also, Minor’s® Ancho Flavor Concentrate—great bold flavor for many applications.
N. CA, OR, WA, HI, AK
New York Restaurant School (part of the New School for Social Research, New York City)
Culinary Institute of America, St. Helena, CA. and New Hyde Park, NY
Certified Executive Chef from the American Culinary Federation
- Tavern on the Green, NYC—prep cook
- Peters Café, NYC— Sous Chef, then Head Chef
- Citicourt Café, San Francisco,CA—Executive Chef
- Bistro Ambrosia, San Francisco, CA—Executive Chef/ Owner (Restaurant destroyed in the Oct. 1989 San Francisco earthquake)
- Standard Fisheries, San Francisco, CA—Buyer/Sales, Imported/ Exported Seafood
- Bi-Rite Foodservice—Sales Rep
- Rykoff/Sexton Manufacturing—Corporate Chef
- Pillsbury—Corporate Executive Chef
- Rich Products—Corporate Executive Chef